Welcome to my first weekly "Tattoo Tuesday" feature. If you don't already know, I love tattoos! I have several and am always inspired by seeing beautiful work on other people. I know so many awesome people with gorgeous tattoos and I would like to share them with you!
So, for my first edition of Tattoo Tuesday, I'd like to introduce Joanie Barron. She's a super sweet lady who loves collecting jewelry, especially from local artisans and makers. Those of you on Instagram are probably already quite familiar with her amazing jewelry collection! (If not, follow her here.)
Name: Joanie Barron
Age of First Tattoo: 42
Favorite Tattoo: Memorial chest tattoo
Favorite tattoo location: chest
Artist, shop, and location: Diana DeAugustine, Diego Tattoo, South Park San Diego
1) Tell us about your favorite tattoo- why did you choose it? Does it have a special meaning? My favorite tattoo is of my kitty Star. She passed away in 2014 and I wanted to honor her, as I have my other four cats.
2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where? I have 12 other tattoos, all but one (which is three cherries on the back of my neck) are feline related. I have cheetah tracks just above my breasts, my kitty Sophia on my upper abdomen, nine paw prints for nine lives on my lower abdomen, the cherries I mentioned earlier, Star on my chest, Star in Stardust behind my right ear, leopard print arm bands on both upper arms, black panthers that wrap around my hips, my kitty Romeo on my left forearm, four hearts on a vine on my left forearm, my kitty Juliet on my left shoulder blade, my kitty Millie on my right shoulder blade, and a full back piece of a tiger in a bamboo jungle drinking from a pool of water.
3) Do you plan on getting more? I definitely plan on getting more tattoos when the budget allows!
4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them? When I started getting tattooed in 2000 strangers would walk up and express their opinions on tattoos, but these days it's become so mainstream that the only comments I get are positive.
5) What's the most interesting experience you've ever had in regards to your tattoos? I guess the most interesting experience would be having my front torso in a former tattoo magazine called Taboo Tattoos. This was back in 2001 or '02 when a woman having tattoos in "intimate" locations was considered "risqué".
6) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet? My advice would be - be prepared to get a lot more than one because once you start it becomes VERY addictive!
See...isn't Joanie awesome!?
Please stay tuned for next week's Tattoo Tuesday!
(I have been an avid follower of Danielle's blog Sometimes Sweet for years. I would like to credit her and her blog for the The Tattoo Tuesday idea.)